Monday, October 8, 2012

Preping the sd card slot

In order to get the remote sd card from the raspi to the game cartridge, I decided to use the cartridge slot; interfacing with a cartridge with the sd card installed inside, in order to change the boot system of the pi. I am planning on using Rasbmc primarily to make it a media streaming machine,while stil being able to switch out and run Rasbian (the Debain port for the RasPi) and have more computing functionality. 
So, that means I need to figure out how to wire into the cartridge slot on the mainboard or the 64. I ripped out that pesky bottom expansion slot to get a better look and the cartridge interface just comes right off like so: 
It did, however, leave all these pesky pins I had to get rid of and since I didn't have a desoldering tool, I had to yank 'em out... (I have since picked up a desoldering tool to avoid this in the future)
Feels like im tweezing someone's eyebrows... #feelsbadbro
You may have noticed the pins bent out of the way. These are the ones I am actually using to go to the cartridges.
I left them as a reference until I could get in there with a sharpie and mark 'em out, then they had to go too. :)

I will be hard wiring these pins to the adapter I made once I get the board cut down to fit the RasPi inside. But it needs to get here first...
Here are some shots of the nearly complete cartridges:
 I had to leave a "tail" coming out of each of them until the sd sockets get here. Have I mentioned that I hate waiting for parts... I wish people locally carried this obscure stuff that I love so much lol.



I found that the inner screws (the ones holding the metal plate pictured) were the same thread pattern as the ones from the case so I swapped out the pesky Nintendo screws for those. 
 More to come very soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment