Monday, November 5, 2012

Progress update!!!!!!!

So where to start... I've done so much work on this in the past week it's hard to keep up. Let's get started! I fired up the Pi and installed Raspbian on the first SD card, but I won't go into much more detail than that. The install took somewhere around 14 hours and the GUI is slow and not very attractive, though I did overclock the processor a bit to compensate, which made it at least usable. I will primarily be using Raspbmc anyway so that's really all I'm gong to say about that for now. I will have a post soon about my issues with software and whatnot.

Here are some shots along the way:
At first I pretty much just stuck the Pi on top of the board of the 64 to make sure it worked before I started cutting stuff up. Here is the Pi chilling in the 64:

Running Raspbmc on my TV via HDMI

My dad let me borrow his RotoZip tool, which for what I'm doing is perfectly fine. and cut out the guts of the board. It was a sad thing to destroy such an electrical work of art, but it had to be done. There were capacitors and resistors flying everywhere, and I have a ton of little microchips laying around now. I may make some decorations out of them later on. 

Here is the nearly final layout of how everything is fitting in the case.   


I say nearly because I am still waiting to buy the HDMI extension and I found that I am going to need to move a few more ports out  to the back of console. I am having issues with the wifi reliability so I need to put an ethernet port in... I also need to put at least another usb port externally as well. I am going to be using this as a media center/server so I need to be able to hook hard drives and such up to it as needed.

Bottom View:

The buttoned up console: 
(Note: I am running this via the N64's A/V cable as I haven't gotten the HDMI port in yet) 

Booting up:

This is the on-board LED on the board of the PI through the expansion port hole... I need to get a cover for that at some point.


That's it for now! Much more to come soon, I'm just out of time and pictures for now... 


No comments:

Post a Comment